1  |  2      Previous Page | Next Page | Reload
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
gopal
Pushtikul Elite Member - August 2003

1221 Posts
Posted - 03 December 2004 :  09:25:22
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh

STORY

A man was sleeping at night in his house when suddenly his room was filled with light, and Lord Krishna appeared. The Lord told the man that He had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his house. Lord Krishna explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might. So, this man did, day after day.

For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all of his might. Each night the man returned to his house sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain.

Since the man was showing discouragement, the Adversary (Maya) decided to enter the picture by placing thoughts into the weary mind : "You have been pushing against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't moved."

Thus, he gave the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure. These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man. Maya said, "Why kill yourself over this? Just put in your time, giving just the minimum effort; and that will be good enough."

That's what the weary man planned to do, but decided to make it a matter of prayer and to take his troubled thoughts to the Lord . "Krishna, I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why am I failing?”

The merciful Lord Krishna responded compassionately, "My friend, when I asked you to serve Me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all of your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push. And now you come to Me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But, is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back sinewy and brown; your hands are call used from constant pressure, your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition you have grown much, and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have. True, you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom. That you have done. Now I, my friend, will move the rock."

At times, when we hear a word from Krishna ,we tend to use our own intellect to decipher what He wants, when actually what Krishna wants is just a simple obedience and faith in Him. By all means, exercise the faith that moves mountains, but know that it is still Lord Krishna who moves the mountains.

When everything seems to go wrong ... just P.U.S.H.! When the job gets you down ... just P.U.S.H.! When people don't react the way you think they should... just P.U.S.H.! When people just don't understand you ... just P.U.S.H.!

P = Pray U = Until S = Something H = Happens

Courtsey by ---- 1 member of pushtikul sended me to post on pushtikul.

Edited by - gopal on December 03 2004 17:09:13

Jai Jai ShriGokulesh Parivaar, Baroda

Jigna
Pushtikul Elite Member - October 2003

219 Posts
Posted - 03 December 2004 :  16:34:16
Dear Gopalbhai, Jai Shree Krishna, Please send us more such stories about Lord. They are an eye-opening in our day-today life. Keep up the good work. Thanks & Regds Jignasa Edited by - Jigna on December 03 2004 16:35:42

Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 04 December 2004 :  10:48:58
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh, Another Story continued.................
Narada and the Hunter
Once upon a time the great saint Narada was going to Prayaga to bathe at the confluence of three rivers-the Ganges, Yamuna and Sarasvati. On the way he saw that a deer was lying through the forest and that it was pierced by an arrow. It had broken legs and was twisting due to much pain. Farther ahead, Narada Muni saw a boar pierced by an arrow. Its legs were also broken, and it was twisting in pain. When he went farther, he saw a rabbit that was also suffering. Narada Muni was greatly pained at heart to see living entities suffer so. When Narada Muni advanced farther, he saw a hunter behind a tree. This hunter was holding arrows, and he was ready to kill more animals. When Narada Muni left the forest path and went to the hunter, all the animals immediately saw him and fled. When all the animals fled, the hunter wanted to chastise Narada with abusive language, but seeing a saintly person, he could not utter anything abusive. The hunter addressed Narada Muni: 'O great saintly person! Why have you left the general path through the forest to come to me? Simply by seeing you, all the animals I was hunting have now fled. Narada Muni replied, Leaving the path, I have come to you to settle a doubt that is in my mind. I was wondering whether all the boars and other animals that are half-killed belong to you. The hunter replied, Yes, what you are saying is so. Narada Muni then inquired, 'Why did you not kill the animals completely? Why did you half-kill them by piercing their bodies with arrows?' The hunter replied, 'My dear saintly person, my name is Mrgari, enemy of animals. My father taught me to kill them in that way. When I see half-killed animals suffer, I feel great pleasure. Narada Muni then told the hunter, 'I have one thing to beg of you. I beg you that from this day on you will kill animals completely and not leave them half-dead.' The hunter replied, 'My dear sir, what are you asking of me? What is wrong with the animals' lying there half-killed? Will you please explain this to me?' Narada Muni replied, 'If you leave the animals half-dead, you are purposefully giving them pain. Therefore you incur very great sins. All the animals that you have killed and given unnecessary pain will kill you one after the other in your next life and in life after life.' In this way, through the association of the great sage Narada Muni, the hunter was a little convinced of his sinful activity. He therefore became somewhat afraid due to his offenses. The hunter said, 'I have been taught this business from my very childhood. Now I am wondering how I can become freed from these unlimited volumes of sinful activity.' Narada Muni assured the hunter, 'If you listen to my instructions, I shall find the way you can be liberated.' The hunter then said, 'My dear sir, whatever you say I shall do.' Narada immediately ordered him, 'First of all, break your bow. Then I shall tell you what is to be done.' The hunter replied, 'If I break my bow, how shall I maintain myself?' Narada Muni replied, 'Do not worry. I shall supply all your food every day.' Being thus assured by the great sage Narada Muni, the hunter broke his bow. Narada Muni then advised the hunter, 'Leave your home and go to the river. There you should construct a small cottage and continuously chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra.' The hunter offered his respectful obeisances to the sage Narada and returned home and exactly followed the instructions of Narada. The news that the hunter had become a Vaisnava spread all over the village. Indeed, all the villagers brought alms and presented them to the Vaisnava who was formerly a hunter. One day, while speaking to his friend Parvata Muni, Narada Muni requested him to go with him to see the hunter. When the saintly sages came to the hunter's place, the hunter could see them coming from a distance. With great alacrity the hunter began to run toward the sages, but he could not fall down and offer obeisances because ants were running hither and thither around his feet. Seeing the ants, the hunter whisked them away with a piece of cloth. After thus clearing the ants from the ground, he fell down flat to offer his obeisances. Narada Muni said, 'O hunter, the good qualities like nonviolence, which you have developed, are not very astonishing to me, for those engaged in the Lord's devotional service are never inclined to give pain to others.' The hunter then received both the great sages in the courtyard of his house. He spread out a straw mat for them to sit upon, and with great devotion he begged them to sit down. Narada Muni then asked the hunter, 'My dear Vaisnava, do you have some income for your maintenance?' The hunter replied, 'My dear spiritual master, whoever you send gives me something when he comes to see me.' Narada Muni blessed him, saying, 'You are fortunate.' Narada Muni and Parvata Muni then disappeared from that place.
Courtsey by --- one of the member of pushtikul
Edited by - gopal on December 06 2004 09:49:59

Go to Top of Page
vinod

201 Posts
Posted - 05 December 2004 :  02:18:35
Dear Gopalbhai Jai Shree Krishna It is good that you are posting on behalf of Vasant Punjabi, but it will even be better if you let him do his own postings. Jai Shree Krishna

Jai Shree Krishna Vinod Savjani Go to Top of Page
vinod

201 Posts
Posted - 05 December 2004 :  14:01:32
Dear Gopalbhai Jai Shree Krishna Editing the original source does not alter any facts. Jai Shree Krishna

Jai Shree Krishna Vinod Savjani Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 10 December 2004 :  09:58:20
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh.
Bhagwat Mahamatya
Starting the bhagwat with ShriBhatwat mahamatya. the 13th sloka of the 1st adhyay of shrimad bhagwat mahamatya titeled "Shrimad Bhagwat Mahamatya Bhakti-Naarad Samagam" The most blissful story coming explaining the mahamatya of shribhagwat. starting from the 13th sloka of the 1st adhyaya, the sabha was gathered at raja parikshit darbaar and shri suk bhagwan had just started the katha, suddenly it so happened that the devtas came along with a kalash(pot) full of amrit. the devtas bowed to shrisukdevji and very gracefully requested "maharaj pls accept this pot-kalash full of amrit and in return give us the katha roopa amrit" devtas r expert in their work. king parikshit laughed in mind to himself on devtas thinking what the amrit, the piece of glass compared to the sansar the diamond with katha? it is true that the katharoopi amrit is not in the hands of non-bhakts and also for the devtas. in this world (bharat), bhagwat shastra is the swaroop of bhagwaan, by which doing exercise of different vaartas from bhagwatji gets the fruit to get the vaikunth-heaven. the place of the nitya leela of prabhu. once at badrikaashram the pure 4 rishis-sanatkumars came for satsang and saw naradji comming. the kumars asked naradji, that "hey naradji, why u look so dull, unhealthy and what for u r worried? do tell us, and from where have u been comming? then naradji said "i thought that in the all loks the uttam-best place is prithvi, and went to shripushkar, kashi, prayag, and godavari. also at harikshetra, shrirang, kurukshetra, setubandh, etc i went roaming at many places-tirths. but no where i found inner satisfaction and no things like charity founded. adharma is friend of the kaliyug and disturbed the whole earth. and now truth, tap, sauch, daya, daan i didn't find as the jeev just lives for feeding stomach and for which not hesitate to speak false. these jeevs had became lazy, dumb, patient-rogi, and full of corrpution. and dependent on females money. due to greediness of dravya parents sell their daughters, non-confidence and so quarrels between husband and wife and in all ashrams-maths jeevs started finding tirths and at the rivers are followed by yavans-adharmi's...............................
will continue later...........

Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 10 December 2004 :  10:09:13
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh
Story
Be cautious during seva.
Shri Narayandas Brahmachari came to Shrimad Gokul from Mahavan. There he was extremely happy on doing darshan of Shri Mahaprabhuji. He bowed & offered gift to Him. Shri Mahaprabhuji offered Charnarvind on his head & asked:'Narayandas, What is the time of Shri Gokulchandramaji?' Narayndas says:' Prabhu, Just offered Rajbhog to Shri Thakorji & have come to have your darshan.' Shri Mahaprabhuji says:'Narayandas, I wish to have darshan & to perform seva of Shri Gokulchandramaji. Come, I will come with you at your place.' Shri Mahaprabhuji came in apras with Narayndasji at Mahavan. Shri Mahaprabhuji shifted tero to do aachman to Shri Thakorji & came to Nij Mandir. Shri Mahaprabhuji spoke out:'Oh Narayandas, Khir is splitted here & there in the mandir, why so?' Then when he saw towards Shri Thakorji he was pained. Then he seated Shri Thakorji in his lap & then by gently cuddling him on his face asked him:'Bawa, how did this happen?' Seeing Mahaprabhuji, tears started flowing from the eyes of Shri Thakorji. Then Shri Thakorji told in a childish way: 'You have come here, so Narayandas had a urge to see you. So he offered me hot khir & ran to do your darshan.' 'Bawa, how did you fingers, lips & face get burnt?' 'I dipped my fingers to have khir. So khir stuck to the fingers. Then I put my burnt fingers in my mouth so my lips & face got burnt. Then khir split everywhere when I shrugged my hands.' 'See because of this hot khir my lips, face & fingers got burnt & they are paining very much.' Shri Mahaprabhuji felt very sad seeing the state of Shri Thakorji & started cuddling his fingers, lips & face gently with his hand. Then Shri Mahaprabhuji told:'Narayandas, Shri Thakorji was stressed because you offered hot khir to Him. Shri Thakorji is a child. So whenever you offer anything to Him, make sure that it is luke warm. What has happened that has happened. Please make sure that it does not happen the next time.' Narayandas felt very sad that because of him Shri Thakorji had to undergo stress. Tears began to flow from his eyes. He told with a very repentive voice:'I have committed a big mistake. I will make sure that it does not happen next time.' Shri Thakorji ordained:'Now offer me khir again.' Shri Mahaprabhuji told:'Thakorji I am offering you khir again. Please have it with love.' Then Shri Mahaprabhuji lifted the bhog & did aachman. Shri Thakorji told:'Shri Vallabh, you also have this khir.' Shri Mahaprabhuji told:'Narayandas is a kshatriya & I am a Brahman. How can I have khir made from his hands. This would be against Varnashram dharma.' Shri Thakorji told:'This samagri is made from milk. That is why it will not come against castism. You have this khir without hesitation.' Shri Gokulchandramaji offered khir & Shri Mahaprabhuji had it with love. Narayandas became very pleased by having this darshan. 'I am very lucky. I made such a big mistake then too Shri Thakorji had khir & Shri Mahaprabhuji had it too. I am very much blessed.' Then the khir was distributed amongst all the vaishnavas present. Everybody had it with love yet it did not reduce. From this day khir started to be considered as Annasakhdi & was offered in Balbhog. Khir is very much liked by Thakorji. That is why it can be offered any time irrespective of season, festival etc. One more thing becomes clear from this episode that it is very important to remain very cautious while performing seva of Shri Thakorji so that Shri Thakorji does not get stressed and it also becomes very clear that Samagri offered to Shri Thakorji did not become less. Shri Acharyacharan has this divine power. Source: Balpushti – May 2002

Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 11 December 2004 :  10:40:12
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh,
Message of Srimad Bhagavatham
While all directives for man's safe journey in life are contained in the Vedas, whose date of origin cannot be specified as they existed along with God, the vast amount of scriptural texts made available subsequently by sages and saints, all based on the Vedas, brought out the various rules relating to Righteousness. These injunctions are simple and if one follows them, he can enjoy peace. Among these texts, the Srimad Bhagavatham describes the various incarnations of the Supreme Lord, in particular of His presence amongst humanity as Sr Krishna. The main message of this text is the need to engage oneself in the service of Sri Krishna to please Him and win His grace. There is no compulsion for elaborate arrangements for offering worship to Sri Krishna if they are not possible. Instances of an old woman devotee handing over to Sri Krishna a fruit, a humble person presenting flowers, a woman in distress giving Him just a curry leaf and a friend making Him taste a simple soup are included in the book to reveal how Sri Krishna goes by a devotee's faith and not by extravagant display of his devotion. Even if there are lapses in one's worship, Sri Krishna will not mind them. In one's life, there are several chances to commit sins and also do good deeds. By our prayers to Sri Krishna we can make our stay purposeful and sublime. The devotion displayed will surely result in experiencing Divine grace as He is a witness seated in one's heart. The scriptural texts also spell out how to cultivate devotion by referring to very close association with Sri Krishna by persons who will ever be engaged in thinking about His qualities. They will also show how the chanting of the Divine names will purify mind. These steps will enable a sincere person to undertake daily worship. In doing so, he has to eschew jealousy and remain absolutely unconcerned about what the other man does. A devotee's main task is to carry out the religious obligations, with absolute detachment and without caring for the fruits. Sri Krishna has declared that He only looks into the devotion and dispassion, according to Sage Vyasa. The Bhagavatham is a ``Paramahamsa Samhita'' dealing with Sri Krishna and a devotee's elevation by his personal worship (Aradhana), his detached outlook while engaging himself in God's service, his fervour and dedication. Sri Krishna will sanction material benefits to those who want them but for a higher status (salvation), some condition or a request is attached. Sri Krishna has never let down any of His sincere devotees. Srimad Bhagavatham was composed by Veda Vyasa after he codified the Vedas and wrote the Mahabharata, as he did not get peace of mind even after accomplishing these tasks. As he sat reflecting on the bank of the Saraswathi river one day, Vyasa felt greatly perturbed that he had not attained the object of his life. He knew the secret of Dharma, but this did not give him satisfaction. He could not fathom the reason for his despondency and as though by Providence the celestial sage, Narada, called at his hermitage then. During the customary exchange of greetings when Narada enquired about his welfare Vyasa told him, ``Even though I have fully realised through the practice of Yoga and the observance of sacred vows both the Absolute and the Brahman in the form of the Vedas, pray, point out to me my great deficiency.'' Narada told him that he had failed to sing adequately the pristine glory of Sri Krishna in his works and hence he could not get the satifaction he yearned for. Pointing out that a work of great literary merit does not afford delight to a devotee if it failed to glorify Sri Krishna, whereas, though faulty in diction if the composition contained the names of the Lord and His exploits, pious men would love to hear, sing and repeat the same, Narada advised Vyasa to pen a work glorifying Krishna's deeds in His various manifestations and the greatness of devotion to Him. Thus Srimad Bhagavatham came to be written by Vyasa and he taught it first to his high-souled son Suka.

Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 11 December 2004 :  10:42:00
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh,
Story
When Vibhishana pleads with his brother Ravana to return Sita to Rama, Ravana ridicules and insults him and asks him to go away. After all his efforts fail, Vibhishana ultimately comes to Rama's camp with folded hands, seeking protection. Sugriva and his entire army are against accepting Vibhishana. Rama says: "Whoever comes to me in desperation, I will protect him from the fear. This is my vow". He also says he will protect anyone who surrenders to him, even if it is Ravana himself. Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita says: "Leave everything and surrender to me, I will absolve you of all sins and lead you to salvation". In fact, the birth of the Ramayana could be traced to the devas praying to Vishnu to save them from the clutches of demons and their king Ravana. Vishnu is persuaded to take birth as the son of Dasaratha and requests the devas to take the form of monkeys. The devas' request for divine help was the first of several sharanagatis (complete surrender to God) in the Ramayana. God does not differentiate between friend and foe, man and animal, caste and creed. He comes to the rescue of those who surrender to him with faith and belief as is illustrated in the story of Gajendra's moksha and that of Prahlada, son of demon king Hiranyakashipu, and of Draupadi. Jayantha, son of Indra, the king of the devas, takes the form of a crow and injures Sita's breasts. As the blood drips on Rama, he becomes furious and fires the Brahmastra. Jayantha seeks refuge in Brahma, Shiva, his parents — but all of them express their helplessness. With no saviours, Jayantha flings himself at Rama's feet. Though he has committed a heinous crime, Rama forgives him and saves his life. When Rama asks Lakshmana to stay back in Ayodhya, he says: "Aham sarvam Karishyami" — "Allow me the privilege of serving you and Sita during the 14-year vanvas period". Rama agrees. During vanvas, the sages request Rama to free them from the tyranny of the demons and their king, Ravana. Rama promises to help them and vanquishes Ravana and his army. When Trijada, Vibhishana's daughter, prays to Sita to protect her from the demon-women, Sita obliges following Rama's victory. The person to whom one turns to for protection should have power, strength and compassion. Otherwise, the sharanagati will fail as it happened in the following instances: When Parasurama challenges Rama after Sita's marriage, Dasaratha pleads before Parasurama to pardon and leave his children. But Parasurama challenges Rama to break his Vishnu Dhanus. Here the sharanagati fails. Though Parasurama has the power, he does not have compassion. The sharanagati of Sugriva to Vali also failed as Vali did not have a kind heart nor did he believe Sugriva. Rama went on fast praying to the ocean king to give them passage, but the sharanagati failed. When Rama threatened to burn the ocean with his astras, the king of ocean suggested ways to build a bridge across the ocean. Some sharanagatis have failed, but for different reasons: Bharata comes to the forest and requests Rama to return to Ayodhya to take the reins of the kingdom. Rama declines as it would mean going against his father's words. Trisanghu, after being cursed, falls at the feet of Vishvamitra, who creates a separate heaven for him. Though Vishwamitra was kind and had the power, he was not fully successful as it was against the principle of the universe. So Trisanghu remained suspended between heaven and earth. The sharanagati of Ravana to Sita and Surpanaka to Rama also failed because it was against the principles of Rama and Sita. Edited by - gopal on December 11 2004 10:44:06

Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 13 December 2004 :  15:28:24
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh, In the beginning of this creation, Lord Brahma created four great sages named Sanaka, Sananda, Sanaatana and Sanat-kumara. All of them were unwilling to adopt materialistic activities because they were highly elevated. Brahma spoke to his sons after generating them. "My dear sons," he said, "now generate progeny." But due to their being attached to Vaasudeva, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, they aimed at liberation, and therefore they expressed their unwillingness. On the refusal of the sons to obey the order of their father, there was much anger generated in the mind of Brahma, which he tried to control and not express. Although he tried to curb his anger, it came out from between his eyebrows, and a child mixed blue and red was immediately generated. After his birth he began to cry: O destiny maker, teacher of the universe, kindly designate my name and place. The all-powerful Brahma spoke "O chief of the demigods, you shall be called by the name Rudra by all people because you have so anxiously cried. My dear boy, your places of residences are: the heart, the senses, the air of life, the sky, the air, the fire, the water, the earth, the sun, the moon and austerity. My dear boy Rudra, you have eleven other names: Manyu, Manu, Mahinasa, Mahaan, Shiva, Rtadhvaja, Ugraretaa, Bhava, Kaala, Vaamadeva and Dhrtavrata. O Rudra, you also have eleven wives, called the Rudraanis, and they are as follows: Dhi, Dhrti, Rasalaa, Umaa, Niyut, Sarpi, Ilaa, Ambika, Iraavati, Svadhaa and Dikshaa. My dear boy, you may now accept all the names and places designated for you and your different wives, and since you are now one of the masters of the living entities, you may increase the population on a large scale". The most powerful Rudra, whose bodily color was blue mixed with red, created many offspring exactly resembling him in features, strength and furious nature. But since he is the master of the mode of ignorance and since he is the annihilator of the universe, all creations of him turned to be destroyers. The sons and grandsons generated by Rudra were unlimited in number, and when they assembled together they attempted to devour the entire universe. When Brahma, the father of the living entities, saw this, he became afraid of the situation. He spoke "O best among the demigods, there is no need for you to generate living entities of this nature. They have begun to devastate everything on all sides with the fiery flames from their eyes, and they have even attacked me. My dear son, you had better situate yourself in penance, which is auspicious for all living entities and which will bring all benediction upon you. By penance only shall you be able to create the universe as it was before. By penance only can one even approach the Personality of Godhead, who is within the heart of every living entity and at the same time beyond the reach of all senses". Thus Rudra, having been ordered by Brahma, circumambulated his father, the master of the Vedas and addressing him with words of assent, he entered the forest to perform austere penances. YES, the person who has all the transcendental qualities mentioned in the previous message is none other than Lord Shiva. And thus the saying "VaishnavAnAm yathA Shambhuhu".

Go to Top of Page
gopal

1221 Posts
Posted - 13 December 2004 :  15:33:37
Jai Jai ShriGokulesh, Part 2>>>> Lord Shiva, the spiritual master of the entire world, is free from enmity, is a peaceful personality, and is always satisfied in himself. He is the greatest among the demigods. How is it possible that Daksha could be inimical towards such an auspicious personality? asks Vidura while conversing with sage Maitreya? Lord Shiva is described as caraacara-guru, the spiritual master of all animate and inanimate objects. How was it that such a son-in-law and father-in-law could quarrel so bitterly that the great goddess Sati had to give up her life? Upon being asked by Vidura, sage Maitreya begins to narrate the incident that caused the misunderstandings between Daksha and Lord Shiva. Once upon a time, the leaders of the universal creation -- prajaapatis -- performed a great sacrifice in which all the great sages, philosophers, demigods and fire-gods assembled with their followers. The leaders of the universal creation, namely Marici, Daksha and Vasishtha. These great personalities arranged for a great sacrifice, for which demigods like Indra and the fire-gods assembled with their followers. Lord Brahma and Lord Shiva were also present. Just then Daksha, the leader of the PrajApatis, entered that assembly, his personal bodily luster as bright as the effulgence of the sun, the entire assembly was illuminated, and all the assembled personalities became insignificant in his presence. Influenced by his personal bodily luster, all the fire-gods and other participants in that great assembly, with the exceptions of Lord Brahma and Lord Shiva, gave up their own sitting places and stood in respect for Daksha. Daksha was adequately welcomed by the president of the great assembly, Lord Brahma. After offering Lord Brahma respect, Daksha, by the order of Brahma, properly took his seat. Before taking his seat, however, Daksha was very much offended to see Lord Shiva sitting and not showing him any respect. At that time, Daksha became greatly angry, and, his eyes glowing, he began to speak very strongly against Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva, being the son-in-law of Daksha, was expected to show his father-in-law respect by standing with the others, but because Lord Brahma and Lord Shiva are the principal demigods, their positions are greater than Daksha's. Daksha, however, could not tolerate this, and he took it as an insult by his son-in-law. Previously, also, he was not very much satisfied with Lord Shiva, for Shiva looked very poor and was niggardly in dress. Daksha spoke as follows: "All sages, brAhmaNas and fire-gods present, please hear me with attention, for I speak about the manners of gentle persons. I do not speak out of ignorance or envy. Shiva has spoiled the name and fame of the governors of the universe and has polluted the path of gentle manners. Because he is shameless, he does not know how to act. He has already accepted himself as my subordinate by marrying my daughter in the presence of fire and brAhmaNas. He has married my daughter, who is equal to GAyatrI, and has pretended to be just like an honest person. He has eyes like a monkey's, yet he has married my daughter, whose eyes are just like those of a deer cub. Nevertheless he did not stand up to receive me, nor did he think it fit to welcome me with sweet words. I had no desire to give my daughter to this person, who has broken all rules of civility. Because of not observing the required rules and regulations, he is impure, but I was obliged to hand over my daughter to him just as one teaches the messages of the Vedas to a ShUdra. He lives in filthy places like crematoriums, and his companions are the ghosts and demons. Naked like a madman, sometimes laughing and sometimes crying, he smears crematorium ashes all over his body. He does not bathe regularly, and he ornaments his body with a garland of skulls and bones. Therefore only in name is he Shiva, or auspicious; actually, he is the most mad and inauspicious creature. Thus he is very dear to crazy beings in the gross mode of ignorance, and he is their leader. On the request of Lord BrahmA I handed over my chaste daughter to him, although he is devoid of all cleanliness and his heart is filled with nasty things". Thus Daksha, seeing Lord Shiva sitting as if against him, washed his hands and mouth and cursed him in the following words. "The demigods are eligible to share in the oblations of sacrifice, but Lord Shiva, who is the lowest of all the demigods, should not have a share". After this in spite of the requests of all the members of the sacrificial assembly, Daksha, in great anger, cursed Lord Shiva and then left the assembly and went back to his home. Infact in speaking against Lord Shiva, Daksha tried to pacify the assembly by presenting in a very tactful way that he was going to speak about the manners of gentle persons, although naturally this might affect some unmannerly upstarts and the assembly might be unhappy because they did not want even unmannerly persons to be offended. In other words, he was in complete knowledge that he was speaking against Lord Shiva in spite of Shiva's spotless character. As far as envy is concerned, from the very beginning he was envious of Lord Shiva; therefore he could not distinguish his own particular envy. Although he spoke like a man in ignorance, he wanted to cover his statements by saying that he was not speaking for impudent and envious reasons. Generally Lord Shiva is known as the lord of the bhUtas, or lower grade of living creatures. They take shelter of Lord Shiva because he is very kind to everyone and is very quickly satisfied. Therefore he is called Ashutosha. To such men, who cannot approach VishNu, Lord Shiva gives shelter. Further those who do not regularly bathe are supposed to be in association with ghosts and crazy creatures. Lord Shiva "appeared" to be like that, but his name, Shiva, is actually fitting, for he is very kind to persons who are in the darkness of the mode of ignorance, such as unclean drunkards who do not regularly bathe. Lord Shiva is so kind that he gives shelter to such creatures and gradually elevates them to spiritual consciousness. Although it is very difficult to raise such creatures to spiritual understanding, Lord Shiva takes charge of them, Hereing we may recall the quality of a devotee as mentioned in Bhagavad Gita "sarvabhUte hite ratAha ...". Therefore, as stated in the Vedas, Lord Shiva is all-auspicious. Thus by his association even such fallen souls can be elevated. Sometimes it is seen that great personalities meet with fallen souls, not for any personal interest but for the benefit of those souls. In the creation of the Lord there are different kinds of living creatures. Some of them are in the mode of goodness, some are in the mode of passion, and some are in the mode of ignorance. Lord VishNu takes charge of persons who are advanced Krsna conscious VaishNavas, and Lord BrahmA takes charge of persons who are very much attached to material activities, but Lord Shiva is so kind that he takes charge of persons who are in gross ignorance and whose behavior is lower that that of the animals. Therefore Lord Shiva is indeed auspicious. But out of gross foolishness Daksha used harsh words against him, for which he later had to pay a heavy price. Because of this curse, Shiva was deprived of his share in the oblations of Vedic sacrifices. It was due to the curse of Daksha, Sri VishvanAtha Cakravarti comments in this connection, that Lord Shiva was saved from the calamity of taking part with other demigods, who were all materialistic. Lord Shiva is the greatest devotee of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and it is not fitting for him to eat or sit with materialistic persons like the demigods. Thus the curse of Daksha was indirectly a blessing, for Shiva would not have to eat or sit with other demigods, who were too materialistic. The conclusion is that Lord Shiva behaved in his own way to avoid materialistic persons who might disturb him in his prosecution of devotional service.

Go to Top of Page
Topic is 2 Pages Long:
       1  |  2      Previous Page | Next Page | Reload

Jump To:

Set as your default homepage Add favorite Privacy Report A Problem/Issue   © 2014 Pushtikul Satsang Mandal All Rights Reserved. Pushtikul.com Contact Us Go To Top Of Page

loaded in 0.844s